2015 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXXVI STATUTORY ACTIONS AND TORTS (521-538)
Chapter 535 Landlord-Tenant Actions
Section 535.300 Security deposits, limitation–return of deposit or notice of damages, when–withholding deposit, when–tenant’s right to damages–security deposit defined.
Universal Citation: MO Rev Stat ? 535.300 (2015)
1. A landlord may not demand or receive a security deposit in excess of two months’ rent.
2. Within thirty days after the date of termination of the tenancy, the landlord shall:
(1) Return the full amount of the security deposit; or
(2) Furnish to the tenant a written itemized list of the damages for which the security deposit or any portion thereof is withheld, along with the balance of the security deposit. The landlord shall have complied with this subsection by mailing such statement and any payment to the last known address of the tenant.
3. The landlord may withhold from the security deposit only such amounts as are reasonably necessary for the following reasons:
(1) To remedy a tenant’s default in the payment of rent due to the landlord, pursuant to the rental agreement;
(2) To restore the dwelling unit to its condition at the commencement of the tenancy, ordinary wear and tear excepted; or
(3) To compensate the landlord for actual damages sustained as a result of the tenant’s failure to give adequate notice to terminate the tenancy pursuant to law or the rental agreement; provided that the landlord makes reasonable efforts to mitigate damages.
4. The landlord shall give the tenant or his representative reasonable notice in writing at his last known address or in person of the date and time when the landlord will inspect the dwelling unit following the termination of the rental agreement to determine the amount of the security deposit to be withheld, and the inspection shall be held at a reasonable time. The tenant shall have the right to be present at the inspection of the dwelling unit at the time and date scheduled by the landlord.
5. If the landlord wrongfully withholds all or any portion of the security deposit in violation of this section, the tenant shall recover as damages not more than twice the amount wrongfully withheld.
6. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the right of the landlord to recover actual damages in excess of the security deposit, or to permit a tenant to apply or deduct any portion of the security deposit at any time in lieu of payment of rent.
7. As used in this section, the term “security deposit” means any deposit of money or property, however denominated, which is furnished by a tenant to a landlord to secure the performance of any part of the rental agreement, including damages to the dwelling unit. This term does not include any money or property denominated as a deposit for a pet on the premises.
(L. 1983 H.B. 175 1)
(2007) Subsection 5 of section allowing award of twice the security deposit for wrongful failure to return deposit does not apply to tenants of commercial property. PDQ Tower Services, Inc. v. Adams, 213 S.W.3d 697 (Mo.App.W.D.).
- Estate Planning
- For Sale by Owner
- Home Buying
- Home Selling
- Land Use
- Real Estate Brokers
- Real Estate Markets
- real estate planning, real estate finance, FSBO, real estate markets, home buyers, home sellers
- Tax-Related Issues
- Title Issues
- QUIT CLAIM DEED
- LAWYERS, STOP GIVING AWAY YOUT TIME FOR FREE. AUDIO/VIDEO BOOKING FOR LEGAL SERVICES ON YOUR WEBSITE. MONETIZE YOUR TIME AND GET BETTER NEW CLIENTS FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. SELF-BOOKED AND PAID FOR ONLINE AUDIO/VIDEO LEGAL CONSULTS
- REAL ESTATE TAX ASSESSMENT APPEALS IN MISSOURI
- What is Rental Arbitrage?
- What is a Side Letter Agreement in Real Estate?
7 ways to make money in real estate without giving up your full time job ADMINISTRATORS DEED AFFIDAVIT OF SURVIVORSHIP affidavit of title ASSIGNMENT AGREEMENT ASSUMPTION AGREEMENT BUYERS CLOSING DOCUMENTS COMMON LAW MARRIAGE contract for deed COVID AND EVICITION DEATH AND REAL ESTATE Deed d prefix stamp d stamp Easement in Gross EFFECTS OF INFLATION ON REAL ESTATE elements of real estate contracts everything you need to know about real estate contracts EVICITION RULES financial instituion future of commercial real estate GENERAL WARRANTY DEED INFLATION LANDLORD LIS PENDENS medallion signature guarantee medallion signature guarantee stamps Missouri Easement Law Owner financing PROBATE real estate contracts seller financing SELLERS SPECIAL WARRANTY DEED STATUTE OF FRAUDS SURVIVORSHIP AFFIDAVIT TENANT TENANTS IN COMMON title affidavit TRANSFER ON DEATH DEED WARRANTY DEED WHAT IS A FINAL WALKTHOUGH? what is an affidavit of title? wrap around mortgage